According to homethodology, Strong, Maine is a small town located in the western part of the state. It has a population of about 1,500 people and covers an area of about 10 square miles. The town has a rural feel, with plenty of green space and beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
The climate in Strong is typical for Maine: cold winters and mild summers. Snowfall can be heavy during the winter months and temperatures can dip into single digits at night. Summers are usually pleasant and sunny, with temperatures often reaching into the 80s during the day.
The history of Strong dates back to its founding in 1830 by settlers from New England seeking to make their fortune in timber harvesting. The town quickly grew as more settlers moved in, taking advantage of the abundant resources available in the area. By 1900, Strong was one of Maine’s most prosperous towns and had become an important stop on several major rail lines.
Today, Strong is governed by a select board that meets monthly to discuss local issues such as zoning regulations and school budgets. The town is economically diverse, with many businesses that provide jobs for area residents including tourism-related businesses such as restaurants, lodging establishments, and shops selling local crafts.
Residents of Strong are served by two schools: Strong Elementary School for grades K-8 and Mt Valley High School for grades 9-12. Both schools offer high-quality educational programs to prepare students for college or careers after graduation.
There are several popular landmarks located in or near Strong including Bigelow Mountain State Park which offers hiking trails, camping opportunities, picnic areas, and breathtaking views from its summit; Mt Valley Golf Course which provides challenging play on 18 holes; and Flagstaff Lake which provides boating opportunities during warm weather months as well as fishing year round.
Population: 1,259. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,227 (-2.5% change)
Males: 624 (49.6%), Females: 635 (50.4%)
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $30,568
Median house value: $64,900
Races in Strong:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.1%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
Ancestries: English (32.0%), United States (13.7%), Irish (11.8%), French (10.3%), German (6.9%), Scottish (5.9%).
Elevation: 501 feet
Strong, Maine is a small town located in the western part of the state. It has a population of approximately 3,000 people and covers an area of just over 10 square miles. The majority of the population is White at 84% with 4% African American, and 6% Hispanic or Latino. The median household income is $37,500 which is slightly below the national median.
The cost of living in Strong, Maine is significantly lower than that of many other parts of the state. Housing prices are affordable with a median home value at around $140,000 and rent for a two-bedroom apartment averaging about $800 per month. Groceries and utilities also tend to be lower than other parts of Maine as well as compared to national averages. Transportation costs are quite low as well with gas prices being some of the lowest in the nation and free public transportation within city limits. There are also plenty of opportunities to enjoy outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, biking and camping due to its location near numerous lakes and woodlands.
For population 25 years and over in Strong
- High school or higher: 83.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Strong town
- Never married: 23.2%
- Now married: 54.1%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 11.2%
0.9% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Strong:
- FRANKLIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; FARMINGTON, ME)
- RUMFORD HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; RUMFORD, ME)
- RUMFORD HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; RUMFORD, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Strong:
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 67 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 81 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
- BANGOR INTL (about 98 miles; BANGOR, ME; Abbreviation: BGR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Strong:
- SUGARLOAF REGIONAL (about 20 miles; CARRABASSETT, ME; Abbreviation: B21)
- SWANS FLD (about 25 miles; DIXFIELD, ME; Abbreviation: 3S2)
- CENTRAL MAINE ARPT OF NORRIDGEWOCK (about 27 miles; NORRIDGEWOCK, ME; Abbreviation: OWK)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Strong:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 12 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 45 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 76 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 78 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 93 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 111 miles; ORONO, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,590)
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 123 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,542)
Public high school in Strong:
- MT ABRAM REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 312; Location: RR 1 BOX 760; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Strong:
- STRONG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 190; Location: 110 N MAIN STREET; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Strong:
- STRONG PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $20,538; Location: MAIN STREET; 9,305 books; 273 audio materials; 179 video materials; 6 serial subscriptions)